We believe in creating a diverse and inclusive team, not only for the obvious business benefits like increased profitability, more sustainable growth and reduced employee turnover, but because it aligns with our mission and values. To offer our members a new and fair way to build credit, we need to understand them. To truly understand our members, we need to have a diverse team who can bring a range of experiences and perspectives to the table. Of course, to build and keep a diverse team, we need to have an inclusive culture.
So what have we done so far?
1. Formed a D&I Committee to routinely discuss new initiatives.
2. Held workshops to align on what we mean by diversity, uniqueness and belonging at Portify, and describe how it links to our mission.
3. Added checks to our hiring process: running job descriptions through a gender decoder, asking standardised interview questions, reminding interviewers to check their biases ahead of every interview and ensuring that every hire meets as many people from the team as possible, within reason (at least four people).
4. Routinely surveyed the team to track our progress towards improving the team's sense of belonging and uniqueness.
5. Hosted a variety of social events that cater to different interests in the team (lunches, sports day, painting classes to name a few).
And what are we planning on doing in the future?
Have additional hiring specific training: how to improve the interview process for neurodiverse candidates, how to recognise and avoid interviewer bias, how to properly assess for mission fit (not culture fit).
Invest in candidate application anonymisation tools.
Evaluate how we can be more diverse, and more inclusive across our business practices, such as advertising and credit decisioning.